- The demand for skilled workers has been increasingly steady. Even during times of economic decline, there is ALWAYS a need for well trained and well educated tradespeople. There is no sign of the demand for skilled craftsmen and craftswomen slowing down. Meaning, there is work available and YOU can be the one completing it!
- Through apprenticeships, tradespeople receive a free, quality education that prepares them for a lifelong career.
Click here for a list of benefits of an apprenticeship.
Can I really make a living in construction?
Absolutely! The annual wage for construction occupations was $42,280 in May 2015, which was higher than the annual wage for other occupations of $36,200.
Will a career in construction get boring?
- Nope! No two days in construction are alike and every job you work on is different, so you never have to worry about doing the exact same thing day in and day out.
- Plus, you can travel. As mentioned above, well-educated construction workers are in high demand all across the country. If you want to work in your hometown, you can. But if you want to work in a city on the other side of the country, you can do that too.
I’ve never worked in construction. How do I get started?
- To learn the trade, you need to enroll in a certified apprenticeship program.
- Apprenticeships are offered all over the country and you can find the right apprenticeship for you through this site.
- Apprenticeships are offered to students at little to no cost, which means there’s no debt to repay when the apprenticeship is over (unlike that of a traditional four year, post high-school education).
- Not only is there no debt, but also certified apprenticeships offer a living wage from day one! You earn an honest, living wage from your first day. So, you earn a living while you learn your trade.
- You also start contributing to your retirement from day one. Even though retirement is most likely the farthest thing from your mind, it’s never too early to save for it. Most apprenticeships allow you to begin to build your retirement immediately, and in a lot of cases, that means you can retire with over a million dollars!
Can a career in construction be fulfilling?
Of course! You can work odd jobs to make ends meet, or you can build houses that families call home, you can build skyscrapers where people work, and you can build communities that make up the nation. You can Build Your Future!
Will I be able to retire and live the quality of life I’m used to?
- Yes! Generally speaking, the pension plans construction workers contribute to provide them with many years of comfortable retirement, better than that of an average 401 (k) plan.
- And, depending on when you began your trade, you could retire with over a million dollars! That’s a nice way to spend your golden years.