In Fiscal Year 2020, more than 221,000 individuals nationwide entered the apprenticeship system. Apprenticeships are becoming more and more popular, and for good reason! They’re a great way to kickstart a fulfilling career, where you’ll make good money, have great job security, rich benefits, and so much more. Not to mention, apprentices take on little to no debt, and actually earn while they’re learning. It’s no wonder there has been a 70% growth in new apprentices since 2011, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
But what is an apprenticeship, exactly? Let’s explore what it is, why it’s so beneficial, and how you, too, can join the ranks and enjoy the good life through an apprenticeship.
What is an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a program where workers learn a skilled trade through a combination of on-the-job training and classroom instruction. Apprentices are considered full-time employees and earn wages while working and learning alongside mentors in their chosen field. Once an apprenticeship is completed, a certification is granted, and they are recognized by their industry as an established professional in their field.
Apprenticeships are common in the building trades, such as the fields of electrical work, carpentry, plumbing, roofing, painting, bricklaying, manufacturing, etc. Apprenticeship programs are also available in other industries, such as hospitality, healthcare, finance, business, and information technology.
Benefits of an Apprenticeship
The benefits of apprenticeship are almost countless, especially when compared with other avenues of learning, such as a 4-year college or university. In an apprenticeship:
- Your career starts on day 1, and you learn as you go.
- The approach to education is more streamlined. All of your classroom learning is directly related to what you are doing on-the-job, and can be applied immediately.
- You earn while you learn! Apprentices are considered employees, and are paid while they work and learn on site.
- No prior experience is necessary, making it a great option for new career seekers of all ages. You’ll be taught everything you need to know about the trade through the apprenticeship.
- You get a great education, with little to no debt.
- The support is unrivaled. You have experienced mentors all around you who are as committed to your success as you are.
- You get to make a difference in the world around you every day. You’re doing meaningful work and contributing to your community while learning.
- The leadership possibilities are limitless. You don’t have to sit in a classroom learning about leadership theory, you can show up and be one.
- Great job prospects await. The need for good, skilled labor is higher than ever before, and opportunities abound.
How Do I Become an Apprentice?
Apprenticeships change lives every year for thousands of men and women. If you’re interested in getting started with an apprenticeship, first research the different trades to determine the career you’d like to pursue. Then you can fill out this submission form and a representative from the trade will be in touch with you to get you started on your apprenticeship journey.
But please know this: not everyone gets accepted into an apprenticeship program. In some parts of the country, apprenticeships are quite competitive. And no wonder, who wouldn’t want a chance to get a low-cost, world-class education and paid work? If all of this is appealing to you, get started NOW.