As a kid, the scariest things in life were the dark and things that lived in the dark: goblins, ghouls, monsters under the bed, and ghosts. As we got older, our fear of ghosts and the dark may have faded but we are still often scared of the new or the unknown.
If you’ve ever considered a major career shift, you know this type of fear well - the fear that comes with not knowing what lies ahead and feeling unprepared. Will it be worth it? What if I fail? What if I’m not qualified or don’t have the training for the job I’d love to have? Is it worth it to start over, when I’ve already invested time and energy in my current career? What If I’m not good at it? And on the other hand, what if you don’t make a change? If you stay in your current career, will that lead to a life of regret? Will you be unhappy and unfulfilled day in and day out? These are big and hard questions. No wonder it feels scary!
But it doesn’t have to be. By entering an apprenticeship to begin a rewarding career in the building trades, most, if not all, of the what-ifs are covered for you:
- Will it be worth it? Yes! There’s a reason careers in the building trades have some of the highest job satisfaction ratings. They offer a bright future, a stable, well-paying job, amazing benefits, a great work-life balance, and work you will be proud of.
- What if I’m not qualified? There are no qualifications needed to get started! There are a few requirements, however. Each apprenticeship program is a little different, but generally the requirements are things like: a high school diploma or GED, 18+ years of age, passing an aptitude test, and a clear drug screening.
- What if I don’t have the experience or training for the job I’d love to have? No prior experience is necessary to get started with a career in the building trades, only the want and will to learn! All of the training and qualifications you need are provided to you through your apprenticeship.
- What if I fail? / What if I’m not good at it? Only your attitude and perspective stand in your way. Apprenticeships give you all the tools and training you need to succeed. Studying under experts of your chosen craft, you’ll learn from the best. Once you have completed your apprenticeship, you’ll be thoroughly and well-trained, ready to take on all facets of the trade. And one day, you’ll likely be the expert of your trade, training an apprentice yourself!
- Is it worth it to start over, when I’ve already invested time and energy in my current career? With an apprenticeship, you’re learning, earning, and fully integrated into your new career from day 1. There’s no need to go back to school for another degree, or to take time off work, sacrificing income, to gain needed experience or certifications. The work is rewarding and fulfilling, and life is too short to spend it working in a field that you don’t love!
As they say, with great risk comes great reward. Except that in the trades, as you can see, there’s really not all that much risk! A fulfilling and rewarding career is waiting for you, and while it can be scary to take the leap, you can be confident that you’ll be set up for success from day 1.
Ready to get started? Learn more, and come join us!