Have you ever been stuck in a job that makes the movie Groundhog Day, or actual Groundhog Day, hit a little too close to home - one that seems to repeat itself over and over again, day after day, no matter how hard you try to break the cycle?
If you’ve been there, you know it’s not fun. Variety is the spice of life, as they say!
If you’re looking for a career that is exciting, engaging, and never boring, the building trades might be the perfect fit for you.
What makes work in the trades so engaging?
- Every job and job site is unique, each presenting new and exciting challenges, tasks, and scenery. If you’re an electrical worker, you might work on a data center, then a hospital, then a commercial office building – all in the same quarter!
- It’s mentally stimulating. Every day on the job site, you’ll be faced with new problems that require creative thinking and innovative problem-solving, keeping your mind constantly engaged. Let’s take that electrical worker again. On one project, you might be faced with installing solar panels on an oddly shaped roof. While on another, you might troubleshoot why a bank of electric car charging stations aren’t working.
- You never stop learning and growing. The industry is constantly evolving, using and experimenting with new techniques, materials, tools, and technologies regularly. The construction industry is well known for embracing technological innovations, like Smart buildings and Building Information Modeling (BIM).
- You’re up and moving constantly. Trades jobs are active jobs that keep your mind and body alert and engaged. Your days will fly by!
- It’s a team sport. In the trades, you’ll never go it alone. There’s not a single building, school, plant, or hospital that was built by one person. You get to do meaningful work alongside great people who are just as committed as you to creating something amazing.
While it may be true that some tasks in the trades - painting or laying flooring, for example - may be repetitive in nature, they are far from boring. Even the most repetitive tasks require a high level of critical thinking and attention to detail. No two projects and no two days are exactly the same.
And the icing on the cake? At the end of the day, you get to stand back and see what your hard work has built: the next-generation skyscraper, the fresh coat of paint that brings your favorite sports team’s stadium back to life, the new school where your children will learn, grow, and thrive. In the trades, even the most repetitive tasks have great significance. There’s nothing boring about that!
Ready to get started with a career where no two days are the same? One that’s full of growth and progress? Join us in the trades! Learn more and start your new journey.